PRAJNYA GENDER EQUALITY
Democracy without gender equality is incomplete and imperfect.
Political parties, election officials and voters must all demonstrate
a commitment to inclusivity and a concern for gender-related issues
from survival to violence to access to participation.
GENDER EQUALITY ELECTION GUIDE
FOR POLITICAL PARTIES
Make Gender Parity a Guiding Principle for Selection
- Encourage members to nominate women.
- Short-list an equal number of men and women for each seat before making a decision.
- Actively seek to nominate a roughly equal number of men and women to contest elections.
DO NOT, we repeat,
- Do NOT nominate those facing charges relating to sexual and gender-based violence
unless and until a court absolves them.
- Do NOT nominate those guilty of sexist and misogynistic speech.
Make Place for Gender Equality in the Party Manifesto
- Expressly commit to gender equality.
- Clarify party positions on issues relating to gender equality—violence, access to justice, access to opportunity and services and property rights, for instance.
- Expressly commit to gender parity in key party and government positions.
VOTE FOR GENDER EQUALITY
Vote for a party that shows
- Zero-tolerance for violence in speech or action.
- Commitment to gender parity (or something close to it) in nominations.
- Evidence of equal party support to male and other candidates.
- Strong and clear positions in favour of gender equality.
- Genuine concern about gender-related issues in speeches and interviews.
MAKE TRUE DEMOCRACY NON-NEGOTIABLE.
VOTE FOR GENDER EQUALITY.