For those who will vote in Tamil Nadu, and would like to arrive at their own Gender Equality Election assessment (as you should!), we are compiling the resources we have found. We will keep updating this as we go.
TN State Election Commission, Nominations and Affidavits
Lists of candidates from all parties
Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam
Pattali Makkal Katchi
Namma Thamizhar Katchi
All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (no content yet)
Do send us links to other manifestos (full-text, not reports or summaries): email@example.com
PRAJNYA GENDER EQUALITY
Democracy without gender equality is incomplete and imperfect.
Political parties, election officials and voters must all demonstrate
a commitment to inclusivity and a concern for gender-related issues
from survival to violence to access to participation.
GENDER EQUALITY ELECTION GUIDE
FOR POLITICAL PARTIES
Make Gender Parity a Guiding Principle for Selection
- Encourage members to nominate women.
- Short-list an equal number of men and women for each seat before making a decision.
- Actively seek to nominate a roughly equal number of men and women for the 2016 elections.
DO NOT, we repeat,
- Do NOT nominate those facing charges relating to sexual and gender-based violence
unless and until a court absolves them.
- Do NOT nominate those guilty of sexist and misogynistic speech.
Make Place for Gender Equality in the Party Manifesto
- Expressly commit to gender equality.
- Clarify party positions on issues relating to gender equality—violence, access to justice, access to opportunity and services and property rights, for instance.
- Expressly commit to gender parity in key party and government positions.
VOTE FOR GENDER EQUALITY
Vote for a party that shows
- Zero-tolerance for violence in speech or action.
- Commitment to gender parity (or something close to it) in nominations.
- Evidence of equal party support to male and other candidates.
- Strong and clear positions in favour of gender equality.
- Genuine concern about gender-related issues in speeches and interviews.
MAKE TRUE DEMOCRACY NON-NEGOTIABLE.
VOTE FOR GENDER EQUALITY.